Where We Come From
In 1932, Herman Wedgworth, the first plant pathologist at the University of Florida Everglades Experiment Station, left his prestigious role in academia to start Wedgworth’s, Inc. Since its inception, Wedgworth’s has introduced countless innovations and technologies to Florida agriculture while maintaining a steadfast commitment to grow the industry.
Today, Wedgworth’s remains a multi-generational, family-owned company that also farms and ranches 20,000-acres in south Florida.
Dennis Wedgworth, President and CEO, is carrying on his family’s legacy by creating premium custom-blended plant nutrition products for the agriculture, turf, and ornamental industries.
Over The Years
- Herman Wedgworth and wife Ruth establish Wedgworth’s, Inc. & Wedgworth Farms. The first fertilizer products were hand mixed for EAA soils.
- Following the death of family patriarch Herman Wedgworth, his wife Ruth assumes control and runs the business, eventually turning day-to-day operation over to her family
- Son, George Wedgworth, returns home from college to work in the family business. Eventually taking the helm at Wedgworth Farms, George gathered a group of EAA farmers and began growing sugar cane, which lead to the establishment of the Sugar Cane Growers Cooperative of Florida in 1960.
- George’s son, Dennis, starts working at Wedgworth’s, Inc., after finishing his graduate degree at the University of Florida
- Under the leadership of Dennis Wedgworth and Jimmy Matthews, Wedgworth’s, Inc., expands blending with the customization option of premium granular fertilizers and micronutrients.
- Wedgworth’s expands its granular fertilizer blending operation with the acquisition of Potash Corporation’s manufacturing facility in Moore Haven, FL
- 2017 – Wedgworth’s diversifies its portfolio to include liquid fertilizer blending and control chemical offerings through the acquisition of The Anderson’s southeastern assets in Clewiston, Lake Placid, and Immokalee, FL
- Wedgworth’s acquires AGVNT, a state-of-the-art R&D company with proprietary plant nutrition technologies and sophisticated fertilizer manufacturing innovations. Following this acquisition, Wedgworth launches Summit Nutrients, a new precision-based company focused on fertilizer innovations.